The Glasgow Botanic Gardens are, compared to other botanical gardens in the world, not the biggest but include a rose garden and a well designed glasshouse, the Kibble Palace. Once you are in the garden, there is a tea room with some lovely food and of course a good selection of tea.
- City: Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
- How to get there: The Glasgow Subway, opened in 1896, is the only underground metro system in Scotland and consists of just one circular line. Take the Subway from Buchanan Street Station to Kelvinbridge Street Station. Then it’s about a 30 minute walk along the River Kelvin towards the Botanic Gardens via Ha’Penny Footbridge.
- Tip: Walk along Byres Road towards Hillhead Station and take the Subway back to the city centre. There are some good local shops along Byres Road.
- Ticket: Best is to use an all day subway ticket.
- Transport information: Strathclyde Partnership for Transport
A quiet walk along the Skeleton Creek towards the sea with a nice view of the Central Business District Melbourne in the far distance.
- City: Melbourne
- How to get there: Take the Metro Werribee Line service from Southern Cross Station to Williams Landing Station, from there some 500m walk to the trail.
- Tip: Once you reach the coast and the Cheetham wetlands, continue along the Hobson Bay Coastal Trail until you reach Altona Beach with some shops and good cafes. Total walking time around 3 hours. From Altona Station take the Metro Werribee Line service back to central Melbourne.
- Ticket: Best is to use a myki card in and around Melbourne.
- Transport information: Public Transport Victoria
- Location: Skeleton Creek Trail, Point Cook VIC 3030, Australia
Enjoy some local sandy beaches together with green parks in the north of Chicago along the shores of lake Michigan.
- City: Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
- How to get there: Take the Red Line from Jackson Station to Thorndale Station. Then it’s a short walk to the Kathy Osterman Beach.
- Tip: If you got some time, there is an enjoyable walk along the Lakefront Trail, including beaches, marinas and through parks to get to Fullerton Station (Brown-, Purple- and Red Line) for your return trip to downtown Chicago. Walking time is less than two hours.
- Ticket: Best is to get a Ventra Card with 1, 3 or 7 day passes.
- Transport information: Chicago Transit Authority